I'm Too Sexy
Deep down inside, all of us want to be protected. We all want someone to take care of us when we're sick, when we're depressed, or when we're just having a horrible day. Some of us are lucky enough to find that person in the dating game. Others are born into a family where support is given on a daily basis.
I had to manufacture my own.
Today, I was driving, and SC leaned up from his car seat and looked at me quizzically. Then he asked, "What is that across your body?" I was in an amazingly wonderful mood, and so I cheerfully explained the concept of a seat belt to him. He thought about that for a minute, and then comforted me the best way that he knew how. "It's okay, Mommy." he said reassuringly. "If you get dead, I'll just bring you back to life." After a moment of reflection, I thanked him profusely, and decided not to explain the laws of the universe to him. We'll get to that eventually.
Although the high point of my day was my everlasting life (sans Jesus), it was really an amazing day all around. It's 61 degrees outside, and the sun is shining, and the wind is blowing at hurricane strength. SC didn't get up until after 6. It was one of those days when the mundane just seemed excellent for some reason; a good day made up of attitude, and not by chance. SC and I relaxed today; he watched a bit of Power Rangers, and I read a book that has literally been sitting in my "to read" pile for almost two years. I texted back and forth with some of my boys that have slipped to the back burner and set things right with my Bunny from back home. I got back on my diet. I took SC to Panera and the manager flirted with me; I flirted right back. He gave me my coffee for free - not a huge gift, but a cute gesture, anyway. I guess I just FELT sexy today. I took a shower and shaved my legs, and then I put jeans on, and all day, I could feel the rough material rubbing against my smooth legs, and it somehow made me put a little swing in my step. I had a shortbread cookie (ok, so I sort of got back on my diet...). I remembered to get milk when I went to the grocery store. I found out that my favorite soup at Panera is only like 200 calories a cup, and got some for lunch tomorrow. I wore my new Audrey Hepburn (circa Breakfast at Tiffany's) necklace. My hair looks fucking awesome. I looked up Yankee's zip code on mapquest and found out that my next vacation will be a lot more towards Southern California than I had originally projected. The day was full of random goodness.
There's a saying that we create our own destiny, and I couldn't agree more. I could see myself going through the exact same day, but in a worse mood. When the grocery store said they had Macintosh apples, but there were actually Gala apples in the Macintosh bin, I could have mumbled something pissed off. Instead, I talked to SC about different apples, and juggled three of them as he (and a few passers-by) laughed and clapped. When SC tore the tag off of a mini bag of chocolate candies that I was buying him, we went back to the candy section and chose another bag - and then I taught him about bar codes. I made him repeat "bar code! bar code!" as we ran haphazardly down the aisle (him in the back of the shopping cart), laughing hysterically. Later, in the car (after I was assured of my everlasting life), I waited for an extended period of time to turn left as a car going 15 mph led a trail of 11 other cars in an inchworm parade; as the cars went by, I giggled at the faces of the annoyed followers instead of getting pissed off and cursing that horrific intersection. Today, I believed that I could do anything, and the results of the day reflected that.
I guess the trick is to think positive about each day. No, that will not always work, but it certainly makes some days a home run. I still have to get SC to bed tonight, take a test for my grad class, work on some articles for Support Atheism, and lay out clothes to go back to work tomorrow, but I'm not a bit intimidated. Tonight will be great, just like today was great, and tomorrow will be, too. You know why? Because I said so. And because I have a kid that can raise the dead. Score!
What you did today. The time you spent with your kid. That is life and it will last with him for his ever. You rock.
ReplyDelete