Sunday, June 8, 2014

1.8: Love -- Love is Love is Love

     I remember the first gay person I ever met. Well, no. I remember the first gay person who ever TOLD me that they were gay. I was in my first semester of college, in an evening Spanish class, and Amber sat in front of me. I liked her right away, and she and the cute guy next to me and the sweet girl on the other side of me became classroom friends. We got together for projects and studying, and one day (I don't know how it came up), Amber turned to me and was like, "You know I'm gay, right?" And... I didn't. I hadn't even thought about it. I'd thought about hitting on the cute guy in our group (Michael, maybe?), but I honestly never evaluated Amber's sexuality. And... that was it. Amber was gay. Now I knew why she had that cool rainbow keychain hanging out of her back pants pocket.  It didn't change my life any.
      I got to be friends with Amber, and through her I met lots of other people with various sexualities. And... this is going to shock you... I'm still okay. You know what meeting Amber DID do? It made me realize that people are still people, no matter who they're attracted to. Now, 14 years later (damn I'm getting old), states are starting to legalize gay marriage. And, sure, people are pissed off, but they don't really have a leg to stand on. Gay people are famous, not for being gay, but for WHO THEY ARE and WHAT THEY DO. *gasp* It's like what people do with their girl parts/boy parts/ambiguous parts are their own business. It's like being gay or straight or bisexual or pansexual or asexual doesn't actually affect other people. Weird.
     Love is love... and attraction is attraction. It's not your business. Let freedom ring.


Check out NGS's "love" post. 10 bucks says it's about her hubby. 

1 comment:

  1. I find that I'm a little bit grumpy at being so predictable.

    ReplyDelete