I learned names -- which was Makayla and which was Mikayla and which was Makaila. I figured out that the tiny blonde girl in the third row is not the tiny blonde girl in the fourth row, who is not the tiny blonde girl in the fifth row.
I figured out distinguishing characteristics to differentiate among the three sets of triplets and six sets of twins in my classes.
I got my student teacher up and running for three of my classes.
I struggled with the other six members of my collaborative team (the other people in the department who also teach freshmen) -- what are we teaching? when? how will we evaluate? does it fit into the standards? The group is filled with great people, but there's too many of them. We struggle to get things done.
I read through all of the IEP's, talked to intervention teachers, and worked on accommodations with my intervention specialist.
I set up a format for keeping records of all my 140 students.
I contacted parents, fielding questions and fixing problems.
I graded hundreds of papers, putting meaningful comments on each one. I then entered each into the gradebook.
I guided my sophomore class cabinet as they begin preparations for the Homecoming dance. I spoke with administration, the DJ, the decoration place, and a lady who is going to get our tickets online so that they're automated.
I went to the first meeting for this year's Interact Service Club, the largest club in the school. I am now one of their six advisers.
I worked on my duties as a union representative, reading legislation and explaining information to my co-workers.
I counseled former students on new classes, on break-ups, on fights with their parents, on missing assignments, and on their plans for the future. There are about eight of them who spend every free moment in my classroom, helping and asking for help.
I formed relationships with the four new members of our department, asking about their lives, making them laugh, and helping with the transition to our school.
I love my job, but there is so much to do during the day. I am so exhausted by the time I come home -- and still, there is a kid to raise, food to cook, a house to clean. There are animals to take care of. There are counseling appointments and doctor's appointments.
I love my job, but sometimes, life is too much. It's just too much.
And then a former student will come by with a hug and thanks, or a former parent will send an email thanking you for all you've done, or a coworker will make you laugh so hard, it hurts. And then it's worth it.
It's too much, but it's worth it.
What's my NGS contemplating?

No comments:
Post a Comment