Monday, September 8, 2014

4.8: Love -- Art

Picasso is my favorite artist. He was a wife-beater and an asshole, by many accounts, but I don't judge his paintings by his actions. I feel like I've written about my favorite paintings by him before - Les Demoiselles d'Avignon, La Vie, The Harem... but I don't know if I've written about why I feel so connected to art.

The answer is... I don't know. There is something about some paintings that just make me stop. I feel changed inside. Perhaps it is the use of color, or the expression on a face in the painting, or the way two people are standing in juxtaposition with each other. Sometimes, it's the way that the painting seems to move, although it is obviously not moving. 

In my home, I display prints of some of my favorite paintings. It's mostly Picasso, but not all. I have one painting of a street in Paris. I found the painting, discarded by an old neighbor, and I kept it. It's done in an impressionist-style, and it's full of beautiful colors. 

I love reading about painting, as well. As I prepared for this post, I did a little research, trying to remember the name of my most recent favorite Picasso painting (The Harlem). I actually got caught up in reading about Picasso and what he was doing as he painted each of his masterpieces. I thought about changing the name of this post to "Why I Hate Picasso The Person and Love Picasso the Artist", but I refrained. 

So, be warned. I am that person who will go to an art museum and quickly stroll by all of the paintings or pictures that I am not interested in, but who will stand in front of some seemingly random painting for 30 minutes and stare at every minute detail. NGS had to deal with me in front of Les Demoiselles d'Avignon -- the original! it's HUGE! -- she must have been so bored. You may want to send me alone. It's probably best for everyone involved.


This is the painting that's hanging in my house. 

What does NGS love (besides me)? 

No comments:

Post a Comment