Tuesday, October 7, 2014

5.7: Do -- Science

For religious people, there are tons of opportunities for kids. They have church camp and church groups and the Boy Scouts. But it's tough to find opportunities for secular kids. There's a science center about 20 minutes away, but it's expensive and kind of over-the-top. Luckily, about 6 months ago, a new educational science place opened up in our town. SC went a few times this summer, and he absolutely loved it.

When he arrives at the science center, every time, SC is immediately swept into a room where he takes care of 20-30 little animals -- geckos and rats and snakes and bunnies. The main person in charge, a former science teacher, helps guide SC through the feeding and care of these animals, but he pretty much lets SC do it all. Later, when more students arrive, the other workers guide the kids through science experiments. Many times, students come in with questions, and the science center workers help kids with experiments to figure out the answer.

I support the science center every chance that I get; I share their Facebook statuses, I work with our schools to find ways that they can work together, and I send SC there a couple times a month. As an atheist, I think it's my responsibility to help support and advance science any way that I can. I also think that it's my job to teach my son about scientific inquiry. The more people who are raised finding out the truth means that fewer people are raised believing in fables.


Do, do, do, NGS is gonna write about DO!



1 comment: