Saturday, November 15, 2014

6.15: Inertia -- Meek

Although those who know me a little (but not completely) would think it untrue, I must confess: I am quite meek about voicing my actual opinions. I'll discuss nipples all day long with the majority of the population, but when it comes to seriously sitting down and pontificating on whether or not a situation is fair or just, I'm quite silent.

Part of it -- or at least the excuse I like to use -- is that I can see both sides of many issues. It's true; I can think that women have a right to have an abortion if they choose to, but at the same time, I can see how one might feel that it's killing a human being. I get it. I get a lot of things. But the real answer, the answer I hide, is that I'm used to being beaten down (mostly figuratively, but at times literally) for my opinions. My middle brother is a narcissistic asshole who challenges everything I say. My ex-husband used violence if my opinion went against his. My current boyfriend will argue his point until I feel like I'm useless and stupid. It's easier to go along with the opinions of the most outspoken.

This isn't always a bad thing. I find people that I trust, and I typically tend to have the same opinions as them. And I've gotten really good at wording things so that, although I seem to be supporting one side of an issue, if the tide changes, I can slide back over to the other side. Some might argue that what I'm doing is false, but I disagree. It's survival.

Now, that's not to say that I won't argue something if it's a topic that I know a lot about and feel strongly about. Just try to tell me that there's something wrong with gay marriage. Attempt to talk me out of my atheism. Go ahead and see if you can change my mind about the fact that churches don't pay taxes. Talk to me about The Great Gatsby. I will argue my ear off about those things.

But I won't argue about things that I don't feel strongly about, or about which I can see both sides. That just doesn't work for me.


This is what I feel like I'm doing if I offer an opinion in an argument. 

NGS doesn't have this same problem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment