Monday, November 24, 2014

6.24: Pain -- Scared of the Ice

This past week has brought a lot of unexpected twists due to the snow and ice. I expect these things later in the winter, but we haven't even hit Thanksgiving yet. I've spent the past two months on improving my balance, so I'd like to think that I am slightly better equipped for handling the ice than I was before my ankle surgery and subsequent recovery. Apparently, I am physically, but not mentally.

The ice scared the shit out of me. I slowly, slowly, slowly inched my way out to my car. I held on to the door for dear life. I was so worried that I was going to hurt myself and mess up everything I've done since July. The mental pain was ridiculous.

You know what I figured out, though? That extra strength in my ankle gives me better balance. It allows me to maneuver over the ice. I still don't have the balance of an ice skater or anything, but I have actual normal people skills. I can get over the ice (carefully) and not fall or slip and slide.

This doesn't mean that I won't still have a bit of trepidation when it's icy, but at least I know that my body (kind of) works the right way, so maybe I can stay upright.

Maybe.

P.S. Why isn't WINTER called "fall"??



1 comment:

  1. I'm a bit obsessed with falling on the ice for well documented reasons. I love Yaktrax and recommend them strongly for boosting confidence in the snow. They're well worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete