I was so wrong.
It is not often that I get stabby in crowds of people. Usually, I'm okay with all the people around me and I don't need any extra calming down or support. Usually. But today, not so much. It started in front of the lettuce. I just wanted a damn bag of romaine. But this woman stood horizontally with her cart, blocking the entire row of lettuce, staring at the bags like there was sacred scripture written on them.
It's lettuce, lady. Pick it and move on.
I tried to do the passive-aggressive thing. Then I made a little joke. Finally, I had to speak up loudly and say, "UM CAN I GET THROUGH TO GRAB SOME LETTUCE?" She looked at me like I was crazy. But I got my lettuce.
Then it was time to get the cheese. There were literally four carts, criss-crossed in front of the cheese section. Then, an elderly lady ran up to another elderly lady in the cart conglomeration and was like, "Hahahaha I forgot my list! What am I going to buy?!" and the two ladies laughed and joked. And I just wanted some mozzarella. And SC was running all over the place and rocking the cart and talking and talking and TALKING and I just wanted some fucking cheese. So I did this ballet-inspired leap and got to the cheese and left.
I could feel their stares in my back. OH EXCUSE ME FOR NOT JOINING IN ON YOUR SENILE PARTY.
SC and I got a few more things. It was crowded, but I can handle crowded. I'm not certifiable. I just hate stupidity. And a lot of people in a small space.
Then we went down the baking aisle. I need to make green bean casserole for Thursday and I like to add slivered almonds. It's my Food Network-esque touch. Man, there were a bazillion carts in that damn aisle. I get it. It's almost Thanksgiving. Grandma needs her pie or whatever. But, damn, get it and go. There were these pre-teen girls giggling over frosting options. There were men just standing, full carts in front of them, staring in wonder at spices. Look at the list your wife gave you. Holy shit. BUY IT AND MOVE ON. By this time, I had stopped waiting for SC to follow me. He got no support. It was every man for his own. I shoved 17 carts out of the way and got the slivered almonds.
By this time, I was agitated beyond belief. I was just pissed off and done. It didn't matter what else was on my list. I was getting out of there. I marched up to the registers, picked the shortest line, and did my best to be cheery to the checkout folk, because it wasn't their fault.
I got out of there and I got most of what I needed. But I don't know if I'll be back at the grocery store again until mid-February. At least without a lot of support.
NGS? Support? Go read.

No comments:
Post a Comment