So, my kid is kind of like me. Okay, he's a mini-me. My lifelong friend Lowell remarked, after hearing SC's voice on the phone, that he sounds "exactly like me". He also looks like me, pouts like me, is way too loving like me, and is overly intelligent like me. Poor kid.
Anyway, last week, he started in a local theater group. They're putting on Aesop's Fables this term. He was so, so excited for his first rehearsal. When we got there, he and the other 5 students went into a room and started playing games and learning to be on stage. Although parents were technically supposed to stay out of the way to not distract the students, it should come as no surprise to you that I strategically placed myself in a way that I could see every single thing that was happening in class.
I mean, come on. I'm paying money, I'm trained in teaching acting, and I want to make sure that everything is kosher. Plus I'm nosy.
Anyway, SC was filled with courage. He was at the front of every single activity. They played a game where you had to make the other people laugh. He was the first volunteer -- and was ridiculously funny every time. When it came time to pass out the scripts for the first fable, he volunteered for the biggest role. (Note: This means that I have been working with him to memorize his large role for the last few days -- NOT as much fun.)
I worry a lot. About everything. That's all I do, I think. I write a blog post each day and I worry. So of course I worry about my son's social interactions and self-esteem. But if he's in an environment where he feels comfortable being the dominant one, and he's being supported by the adults and other students in the group, I think he's in a great space for confidence-building. So we'll see, but I think this is a win-win, for sure.
Maybe I need to get back into theater.

No comments:
Post a Comment