Friday, March 27, 2015

10.27: Media -- My fascination

A couple of days ago, there was a devastating plane crash in Germany. As soon as I heard about it, I was glued to the computer screen, checking back to find out more information as it became public knowledge. Who died? Where were they from? Why did the plane go down? And then, when it became evident that the one co-pilot locked himself in the cockpit and deliberately crashed the plane: why would he do that? How did they know that he did it?

Like many Americans, I am fascinated with tragedy. Part of it, I'm sure, is that I love a good horror story, but it's more than that. I can see myself as a victim in any of these situations. I'm getting on a plane in two days: how do I stop something like this from happening? How do I reassure myself that it's not going to happen?

I was like this with the terror attacks on September 11th. Something about tragedy binds us together. Something makes us hold one another a little more close. I don't pray, but my heart goes out to the people who were killed in this plane crash, and to the families of the people, including the man who drove the plane into the ground.

I don't know if it's sick that I am so fascinated by these things -- I certainly don't want them to happen -- or if it's just human nature. A week or two ago, one of my students blamed the media for the increase in school shootings since Columbine. I don't want to believe that the media gives people the idea to do horrible things like this. However, it's something to think about. At the same time, I don't want to NOT know when things happen.

Anyway, fingers crossed for this Sunday and next Wednesday, okay?


Nooooooooooooooo -- I hate when bad things happen. So does NGS I think. 



No comments:

Post a Comment