Another guilty pleasure down here is food. I try to eat healthy, and I'm always on the cusp of starting a diet, but I let myself have free reign down here. I don't see the point of a vacation without good food. And that goes double for a place that's known for it's food.
New Orleans likes their food spicy, and I'm not the biggest fan of spice, but I learned that the spice down here is different. An adorable server explained to me that there's a lot of white pepper used, and less cayenne, so that may be what works better for me. The spice isn't more mild, but it's less painful.
So my rule is, on vacations, that I order stuff out of my comfort zone. I'm not saying to order haggis and then not eat, but I should order things that sound good but I couldn't eat back home. So for breakfast yesterday, I got praline bacon and some sort of scrambler with scrambled eggs, meatloaf, spinach, onion and garlic. Both were good. Neither were things that I will crave back home, but both were interesting and fun and new.
Praline Bacon
One sad thing is that I'm not fond of the coffee down here. It's chicory coffee, and the flavor just does not work for me. I think you can find places that have other types of coffee, but it's rare. So when I get back home, I'm going to Timmie's and getting an extra large.
I do like the shrimp, though. Fresh shrimp. And things with pecans.
No, kale, though. But lots of grits, eh, NGS?



Vacation food is the best. Hands down.
ReplyDelete