Sunday, April 26, 2015

11.26: Support -- Parents of my students

I've always been lucky to have the support of most of the parents of my students. I have almost all freshmen in high school, so they are new to the school, and their parents are looking for a friendly face. I am that face. I make them laugh at orientation, and I offer myself as a resource for questions. I get many, many emails -- some of them more whiny than others -- but I find that throwing myself out there is much easier than hiding. I run a transparent classroom. I send out emails every Monday to all my parents, telling them what we're doing for the week and what's going to be due. I'll ask them questions from time to time -- student parents helped me choose a Honda over a Hyundai -- or tell them about the puppies.

I offer them information and kindness, and they return it to me. I think it also helps that their kids go home and tell their parents how much they like their teacher.

The parents of my students keep me supplied with tissues and pens and hand sanitizer. They laugh with me at conferences until we are hysterical. Sometimes, I go for coffee with parents. Every so often, I actually make friends with parents of my students. I appreciate all of the support.

Of course, I still get angry parents. But I think I probably get less than I would if I hadn't met them first and made that connection right off of the bat, It's hard to get angry at a teacher when you know that the teacher is honestly trying to help your student.


NGS is my best support, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment