Sunday, May 10, 2015

12.10: Work -- A little trouble

I toe the line at work.

I feel like I follow the rules that I need to, but there are some that I bend.

The bent rules make me a better teacher.

They help my students learn.

I'm not SUPPOSED to let that kid with horrible anxiety turn in his paper a few days late, but of course I do.

I'm not SUPPOSED to write a note out of study hall for the girl who's being bullied to sit in my room and breathe for a little bit, but I'm going to.

I give my cell phone number to students whenever they need it, and it hasn't been abused in the five years I've been at this school.

I get evil looks from coworkers when they say, "Man, I wish we could find so-and-so and get her paper turned in" and I'm like "No, it's fine, I'll just text her".

My students come first for me when I'm at work. Their well-being means more to me than how they dress or what they learn or who they associate with.

I want them to not have their boobs hanging out and I want them to read and be able to discuss with me and I want them to have the right kind of friends, but first, I want them to stay alive.

I skip lunch in the teacher's lounge once or twice a week so that I can go have lunch in the cafeteria with different groups of kids. I have breakfast with students in my room every morning. I have a stash of popcorn and other little foods for kids who are randomly hungry in the middle of the day.

I know this makes coworkers mad, but I guess I just don't care. I know this puts suspicion on me sometimes, but I've got a good union, and support from parents and students. And I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm right there on the line.

There's a reason I call my students my babies. And my chickens. Actually, more often, I call them my chickens. But I love them all very much.


Oh, good. NGS and I are done writing about work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment