At first, he was in classes with these tiny little kids, and they just learned how to fight off strangers and how to stay away from bullies and respect your parents. It was good. He started with a white belt, and then went to orange and yellow.
But then, about three months ago, he got promoted to the older kids. At the same time, he went up to his camo belt. This meant that they would also spar. Sparring is when the kids put on safety equipment and fight. So we bought him the foot things and the head things and the chest thing and the jock strap and the mouth guard and sent him off to fight.
The first time he had sparring, he went in and got his gear on. I watched from the parent area, excited. This was going to be so cool! He was going to kick some butt! But... no. What happened was that he SUCKED at it. He couldn't throw a punch and he just kind of flailed around like a windsock. Instead of excitement, I felt horror. My baby! That other kid was hitting him! It stirred up primitive feelings inside me. I wanted to go in and help him. I wanted to tell the other kid to stop.
He got through it like a champ, though, and now he's much better. But I don't watch anymore. I bring a book or go for a walk or play on my iPAD. I've learned my lesson. This mama is NOT watching her child involved in hand-to-hand combat. Even with that jock strap.
NGS and pain? Go here.

No comments:
Post a Comment