I started driving late in life. I took Drivers' Ed when I was 16, and I was okay at driving, I suppose, but I never got around to getting my license. Then my brain exploded, and my daily life was filled up with trying to stay alive and all of that. At 21, I started attempting to drive again. Friends at college took me driving, and I hired an instructor to teach me maneuverability. I passed my test and got a car and was ready to drive. Whee!
Except... I was terrified to drive. This is the first I can remember of having severe anxiety. I would map out, in my head, a one-mile trip, noting every possible area I could run into problems. A trip to the nearest city was out of the question. If I was going somewhere with friends, we could use my car, but I would ask them to drive.
Now, though, I've been driving for a long time. It's not an issue for me anymore -- in fact, I actually enjoy it. But I've never driven much out of my immediate area, and especially not out of the state. ESPECIALLY not alone. But that's what I've decided to do. Tomorrow, I will get up bright and early and head off for Nashville, Tennessee, to meet my best friend. We'll hang out and go to famous places and go shopping and, most importantly, eat. I have a tiny bit of trepidation, but I feel good. I'm looking forward to the drive -- with my OWN music! No sharing! -- and of course, I'm looking forward to seeing NGS.
I'm also proud of my courage.

No comments:
Post a Comment