I've always been too shallow to appreciate the night sky. Maybe shallow isn't the right term. I grew up with science-y people who took the time to show me constellations and planets, but the focus of our science obsession was weather (oh, a post about tornadoes is coming -- of this I am sure) and the nature around us (you'll hear about birds at some point, too). The sky is pretty. I... like it?
This year, Cosmos started up again, with Neil DeGrasse Tyson as its host. NDT is pretty damn cool, and I enjoy watching the show. Right from episode one, my mind was blown. Completely blown. Go outside tonight and take a look at the sky. Is it clear? Do you see lots of stars and things? That is NOTHING compared to what's really out there. There are things that are billions of LIGHT years away. I can't even comprehend.
Whenever I'm depressed, I can sit and think about how insignificant I am, and then either that makes me feel better or much, much worse. So there we go. That's what the sky means to me.
I bet NGS has a pretty picture about the sky here.

I find Neil DeGrasse Tyson to be insufferable in his smugness and condescension. That is all.
ReplyDelete