Saturday, July 26, 2014

2.26: Support - My Mom

I don't like getting help from other people. I'd rather not admit weakness, and so I make it a point to do more than what I probably should do.

But with this ankle surgery, with a boyfriend who's awesome but who is in nursing school, and with an active 6-year old... I couldn't do it on my own.

Luckily, my mom and dad moved close to me a year ago, and they were ready and willing to step up and help me out. It's easier, in some ways, for me to accept help from my parents. So I let them drive me home from the hospital, I let them sit with me through the post-surgery hours, I let them watch my son while I was on painkillers.

Now, though, I'm a few weeks past all that. This is the dangerous time. I'm on the mend, but I'm not better -- but I'm in the position to feel like I need to do everything. I have a knee scooter, so I can kind of manage the dishwasher, and I can pretty much cook.

My mom gets it. She still comes over, once a day, and does what she can to help. Sometimes she makes the kid lunch and me coffee. Yesterday, she did the dishes. Today, we sat and looked at an auction site and I asked her questions about different types of pottery and dishes and what people would bid for them. It's nice to have her around, because I can't really leave the house much yet.

It's nice to have that kind of support. I love everyone who has helped me out, but she has really gone above and beyond. I can't thank her enough.



NGS = Support Post???

1 comment: