Sunday, August 31, 2014

An Examination of What Went Wrong

Research Question: What do I do in relationships that makes them fall apart?

Hypothesis 1: I initially choose the wrong men, which eventually spirals into failed relationships.

Hypothesis 2: I aim to please too much, which makes me ignore the real problems until it's too late.

Hypothesis 3: I hold in anger until I am over-the-top angry, which comes crashing out in an extreme way.

Hypothesis 4: Bad luck.

Hypothesis 5: I pick damaged men.

Hypothesis 6: I'm actually unhappy in relationships, which means that I unknowingly sabotage them so that they end.

Examination of the pertinent facts:

I've never actually been happy in a relationship past 6 months or so.
I don't believe in romantic love.
I'm good at weighing practical measures over heart-related ones.
I hate conflict and will go to drastic measures to avoid it.
I want EVERYONE to like me.
It's hard for me to differentiate between society's expectations for a happy life and my own.
It's very important for me to be financially stable.
I'm attracted to guys who are of a higher physical level than I am able to attract, yet I'm rather turned off by guys who stoop so low as to actually be attracted to me.
I'm attracted to the idea of polyamory, but only on my side. I would hate if someone I was dating/married to would date someone else. I am aware how selfish this is.

Experiment:

I don't know. Do I change who I am completely? Do I eschew my bitter past for happy idealism? I'm at a loss here. I'm not sure where to turn next.

Suppose I just stay single forever? Is that so bad? Maybe that's the true answer.






2 comments:

  1. If you don't believe in romantic love, why bother? If you think romantic relationships have a shelf-life (6 months or whatever), why bother? I don't actually know if I even disagree with you (not sure humans were meant to be monogamous, but it makes my life easier to force the boy to commit to that idea), but if you don't think it's really something you're interested in, why bother with it at all? Just have a string of "no strings attached" relationships that end when they end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, but I DO believe in a partnership and love.... Just plain love. I want that. I love being a part of a couple. Otherwise, there's no fulfillment.
    The other option I think about is that maybe I fall in love TOO much. Or not at all. How do I know?

    ReplyDelete