Monday, September 1, 2014

4.1: Detour -- Hanging out

One of my very best friends lives in Canada, and she has two boys that are about my kid's age. We get together a few times a year, and the boys are... well, they're boys.

We always have plans -- great, big, awesome plans -- and they don't really ever come to fruition. This is okay with us. We honestly have just as much fun sitting around a hotel room, the kids playing and the adults talking, as we would have if we had gone somewhere expensive. 

That's friendship. Friendship is laughing hysterically as the one kid tells the other one that he's ruined his life. It's strategically ignoring the rough-and-tumble game that's going on 30 feet away, and letting the kids figure it out. It's three boys leaning over me at breakfast, fighting for my old store loyalty "credit cards" that I never use anymore. It's taking a video of your friend who is in the pool, and threatening her with the wide dissemination of her synchronized swimming video.

So we didn't get to the zoo this weekend, or the science center, or even a park. We ate food and the kids ran around and we all laughed and laughed. Sometimes, detours make the best experiences. 

Plus I got rid of a lot of extra trash in my wallet, so that was helpful. 



1 comment:

  1. I can't even tell you how many "letting the kids figure it out themselves" moments I had over the weekend. I am all set with my quote of children-time until Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete