Thursday, September 11, 2014

4.11: The Great Outdoors -- Playing outside

The kid has been playing outside more, now that he's met some kids in the neighborhood. It's great -- he gets exercise and he's learning how to be around other kids outside of school. There are numerous kids around his age in the neighborhood. Some are really nice and others are pretty mean. He's always loved the mean kids, following around after them and trying to get them to like him. It actually reminds me of myself.

The other day, though, the kid came home, upset. He had been hanging out with some other kids, and one girl a few years older than him had kicked him, over and over, in his lower back. She'd punched him and pushed him. When I asked him why he didn't fight back, he said, "I didn't want to get into trouble; I'm not supposed to fight."

I talked to him a little about it and checked him out. He was a little bruised, but fine. The next day, I went out to get him from playing outside. When I got him, I asked him if the kid who beat him up was there. He pointed her out. She saw me looking at her and went and hid behind a tree. I walked up to her and asked her if she had kicked my son. She whimpered and nodded. Then I told her that if she ever touched him again, I would go and talk to her parents. I would also call the school and have them suspend her. Then I grabbed my kid and walked away.

Ugh. The Mama Bear in me took over. There was no reason for me to terrify a 10-year old girl. I bullied the bully. Yes, she did something wrong by hurting my kid, but I should have been the adult and talked to her about it, or talked to her parents. I went home and told boyfriend about what had happened, and he said, "How old are you? How old is she?" and then he just kind of stared at me, like I was insane.

Anyway, she's fine, the kid is fine, everyone is fine. I overstepped my boundaries, but I bet there's not a parent around that wouldn't feel the same way.


What's NGS have to say about outside? 

No comments:

Post a Comment