Sunday, October 19, 2014

5.19: My Best Friend -- Socks

She's the kind of friend whom one can call, at random, on a crisp fall Sunday, and offer up a pile of socks that your mother has given you. "They're clean," I tell her. "I took some of them, but the knee socks have your name all over them."

She laughs; she doesn't find it weird. She agrees that I can send her the socks in a package and that she will wear them. And she will. She'll look cute in them, too.

Sometimes we joke that she is more like my mother than I am, and though we're joking, it's kind of true, too. Except my mother annoys me, and NGS... NGS never annoys me. I think that's weird. Everyone annoys me. My own kid annoys me on a daily basis. I annoy myself. I think the air annoys me. But she never has. I doubt she ever will. Person A could do something, and NGS could do the exact same thing in the exact same way, and I would be annoyed as hell at Person A, and I would just roll my eyes and laugh at NGS and continue prattling on.

As we get older, we get more different. Differences tend to make people grow apart; she's gotten a bit crunchy and I'm really into cake, she doesn't blink an eye at spending insane amounts of money on a cute skirt and I hesitate to put down $20 on an item from the clearance rack, she's in a committed, healthy relationship and I'm not sure if my significant other will be in the bed next to me when I wake up. But I hardly notice the differences. It's still HER. We still laugh hysterically at whatever. We still find ways to connect, like this random blog thing.

And, seriously, who else would I give those damn socks to?


NGS wrote about ME today :)

1 comment: