Thursday, October 23, 2014

5.23: Writing -- My Kid's Writing

Sometimes, it hits me, like a ton of bricks. I realize that I don't give myself enough credit. I spend a huge percentage of time disliking myself for many reasons. I've been to psychologists, and they all tell me that I have low self-esteem, and then they hand me a book to read about self-esteem, and it all just kind of reminds me of Stuart Smalley. I do self-soothe, but it's in my own way, and it has nothing to do with me telling myself that "gosh darn it, people like me!". I know that people like me. I just don't like me.

Anyway, every night, I sit and page through the things that SC brings home from school. He's in 2nd grade now, and he still makes pretty much perfect grades. Although I smile at his math and am delighted at his science, I am understandably most excited about his writing and his art. And ever since he was little and was just "journaling" at day care, he would always write about me. In this most recent one, he wrote about a storm that he was in and how his mom made him feel better.

You know what? I am the only person who has been there for him since the day he was born. Other people have come and gone, for one reason or another, but his constant has been me. I've made the money for him to live. I've bought the majority of his Christmas presents and birthday presents. I've made the major decisions in his life. I'm the reason that he's hilarious and sarcastic and intelligent. I took him out to dance in the rain when he was 3, and I'm the one who taught him to roll down hills and to ask before petting a dog and how to tell really, really awful jokes.

I don't know if this is weird, because he's my only kid. Do other kids write about all the things they do with their moms? Sometimes he'll write about his dad (my boyfriend, not his bio-dad), too. When he fills out beginning-of-the-year forms and they ask about his favorite place to be, he has ALWAYS written "home".

He likes his friends, he likes school, and he's a social kid. He adores his grandparents and his teachers. He just likes me best. And so, no matter what, I know that I've at least done one thing right. I've raised a really awesome kid. At least I think so.




What is NGS writing about? 

No comments:

Post a Comment