This past weekend, though, I went on a choir trip as a chaperone. On the way home, we stopped at a mall to each lunch and shop. I ate with my two fellow chaperones, but when it came time to stop, I branched off on my own. I was actually pretty excited. I don't know the last time I was at a mall without a kid in tow. I also don't remember the last time I went into a mall without a specific purpose. But there I was, on my own and with two hours to kill.
I found that I very much enjoyed the mall. Rather than the typical fear of being left alone with my own thoughts (scary!), I was comfortable just strolling along. The first place that I went was a Claire's Boutique. This is the store where I got my first (and second, and third) ear piercings. I spent a good 20 minutes browsing, never once hearing SC whine for me to hurry up, and never once needing to pick up some shelf that he had inadvertently toppled over because he was curious. I left after buying a present for my student teacher, a phone case and three pairs of earrings. The earrings have been a big hit at school this week; I've gotten tons of compliments. They're pretty awesome.
After that store, I stopped and bought myself a cookie. Yup. A cookie, all to myself. Then I wandered and window shopped. I went in and out of a few different stores. Later, I went to the top level of the mall. I even braved an escalator! Upstairs, I wandered some more. I noticed a 10-minute massage place, so I went in and bought myself a quick massage. It hurt like hell (seriously -- it was painful), but my back and arms have felt super relaxed for the past few days.
Eventually, I was all shopped out (I got SC a present at the Lego store), and so I just wandered and people-watched. And that's when I saw her. An elderly woman was walking along with a stroller. I looked closer and realized that it was her DOG in the stroller. In a mall. In Ohio. I had to get a picture. I stopped and made conversation with her. I complimented her dog and told her about putting Ruckus down. She let me take a picture, and then she walked with me a while and just talked about dogs. I wasn't particularly interested in the conversation, but I understood that it was needed in order to get the picture.
Soon after that, I got back on the bus with the kids, and we headed home. I thought about it a lot, but I still don't understand the point of a stroller for your dog or taking your dog to the mall.
Maybe it's a Cincinnati thing?
No matter what, NGS can't top this picture.

Well, some dogs have crazy anxiety separation, so I always assume that a dog that goes everywhere with its owner is either destructive if left at home by itself or will self-harm (chewing off fur, beating its head on doors to get out, etc.). Also, a lot of people use their dogs as therapy dogs, even if they're not officially trained. Anyway, if you've got a dog you can't leave at home and it's old or injured and can't walk well, a stroller is a smart solution.
ReplyDeleteOr it could be that this lady is crazy. Your call.