Sunday, March 1, 2015

10.1: Detour -- Dog Search!

We put Ruckus to sleep in the fall, and in the last five months, we have lived dogless. To some people, this may seem like no big deal, but I am a Dog Person, and I don't really know what to do with myself without a dog. Still, I promised myself that I would wait until the spring. When my ex moved out, I did entertain the thought that I would feel more safe with a dog in the house, but New Boyfriend has been around a lot, and I think my neighbors have my back.

But lately, I've really been craving a dog in the house. I want to take her on walks and curl up with her in bed and throw a ball. I want SC to have a dog of his very own to love. My friend Audrey's parents raise German Shepherd puppies, and they've been on the lookout for a pure black female for me to adopt. The price is a bit steep -- they're purebred, after all. Part of me hesitates to purchase a dog when there are so many wonderful dogs in shelters who need a home. But part of me remembers the shepherds I grew up with, and what amazing pets they were.

So I'm torn. This past week, SC and New Boyfriend and I have visited a local animal shelter twice, in search of the perfect dog. SC has cried once and pouted a few times, but I refuse to bring home a dog who is not the right fit for our family. I saw a adorable little black lab puppy yesterday. He was three months and such a sweetheart. But he was a male, and I'm not looking for a male dog right now. Today we saw the best female pit bull. She was around a year old, and the most loving and wonderful dog. But I don't want a pit bull. I don't have fears about them being vicious like some people do, but it's just not the breed I know best. I want a black lab or a German Shepherd, or some mix thereof.

Tonight, Audrey texted me and said that there was a black female shepherd at her parents' who was ready to be adopted, or there would be two litters ready for adoption in early May. I could get the dog I really wanted, and I could get her this weekend coming up. Once again, I'm torn. Shelter dogs need a home, but so does this one.

I think I will go see this puppy this weekend, but keep my eyes open at the shelters around the area. Maybe I need two dogs. That could be a lovely solution.

Either way, in the next few months, I will have a sweet, warm puppy to curl up with. I can't wait!


I love looking at dogs with NGS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment