Wednesday, March 11, 2015

10.11: The Great Outdoors -- Almost Spring

The purple hydrangeas were a gift from a close friend (that Canadian) and they are potted, which is what I prefer. I mean to plant them as soon as I'm sure that a good frost won't kill them. Today, because it's in the mid-40's, I felt good about sitting them outside in the "garden" to get some fresh air and sunlight.

So when the Mormon boys came knocking at the front door, that's how they sucked me in. "I'm not interested," I said with a smile. "But thanks so much, and good luck."

"Wait. Just one question."

I paused. I didn't want to bring up the atheist thing, or debate, but I would answer their question honestly. If the question was about Jesus, I'd say what I thought. Kindly, but still.

The boy on the left smiled at me. "What kind of flowers are these? They're beautiful!"

I laughed. "Hydrangeas. Pretty. aren't they?"

Then they started on their spiel. I held a hand up. "Let me ask you guys something first. Did you, too, have to go to seminary at 6 in the morning?"

They looked a bit shocked. "Yes! Yes! How did you know that?"

I name-dropped a student in my class, the youngest daughter of a prominent Mormon in the community.

"Oh, you know them? We know her!"

We chatted a bit about her, and they handed me a flier and then we parted ways.

I love Mormons.

I have met many, many Mormons around Ohio. They are, by and large, the nicest people I have EVER met. Seriously. I don't mean to lump them all in together, but I have never met a Mormon that I didn't want to sit down and have coffee with. I never had a Mormon student who didn't make me laugh and who didn't compliment my clothes or bring me little presents.

Mormon people -- unless they are door-to-door missionaries -- don't try to convert me. We don't talk atheism vs. Mormonism. I ask questions, though, and they're happy to answer them. Then we move on to other topics. I don't know if I don't look like I'm going to switch over or if they just get tired of being the missionary person, but I can get Mormons to talk about things other than religion.

The boys today were cute, and the girl in my class and I are plotting on ways to sneak me into the temple. (She may, eventually, find her way away from Mormonism, I think...). I appreciate the Mormons in my life, but, of course, I don't see myself going down that path.



NGS is not a Mormon. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Mormons are so darn nice. I'd date some mormon girls but their underwear would be a turn off.

    ReplyDelete