Friday, May 1, 2015

12.1: Detour -- Sitting in traffic FOREVER

On Friday, the kid and I went to get our eyes checked and to get him new glasses. Our appointments were at 4 and 4:15, but we got there a few minutes late because of some issues at SC's school. After the appointments,  it was past 5:00. The office is in a busy area, but I tried to figure out the quickest way to get home. The puppies had been in their crate all day, since I had been delayed at SC's school and then the eye doctor's office.

After sitting through three cycles at a light, watching the other cars make left and right hand turns, I decided to go to the left. I got through the light quickly, but then I sat. And sat. And sat.

There were three lanes of cars at a standstill. We might move ten feet in ten minutes. It was the worst traffic I had ever been in. SC occupied himself by reading some books he had, and I occupied myself by flirting with drivers in cars around me. At one point, I was in the far left lane and had to get over into the far right lane. With cars hardly moving, I grinned and motioned and winked myself over those three lanes in record time.

Even with the flirtation, it took me an hour and a half to go ten miles. The problem was a detour coupled with rush-hour Friday traffic, and exacerbated by a humongous fire on the south part of town, which had traffic backed up all the way to the north.

When I got home, the puppies were fine, although they were happy to see us and covered in their poop. I cleaned them and the cage and cuddled them. I made sure that they weren't in their cages again for the next day or two.

Our next eye appointments will be on a Tuesday at 1:00 or something. Geez.


This is the last time NGS and I will write about "detours" -- maybe FOREVER. 

No comments:

Post a Comment