Sunday, December 4, 2022

1.4: Information for you about Christmas Deer

    

    So, today, I'm going to expound on a topic that I briefly touched upon yesterday.  I'm not especially fond of Christmas. 

    Shocking, right? Everything is Christmas right now. There are holiday shows everywhere, and Christmas songs, and people worrying about how to throw themselves into debt for another year as they try to buy people's love/admiration/favors. There's nothing wrong with it, ostensibly, but it's just not my thing. 

    I think red and green together are gaudy. I'm not into the whole Jesus thing. I go out of my way to promote other winter celebrations, like Hanukkah and Kwanzaa and Bodhi Day and Yule. In fact, as school Diversity Coordinator this year, I had students make posters celebrating those other holidays this month. We placed them behind the "not Christmas! really!" Christmas tree in the student services area. 

    But, as mentioned previously, I do feel the need to decorate my house. I first search for decorations that don't mention Jesus or God or the damn manger. Now -- let me be clear, I think it's okay if people HAVE those decorations. O Holy Night is a kick-ass song. Angels and Mary and shepherds and all that shit are great for some people. They're just not great for me. So the fact that a big part of Christmas stuff is Jesus-y is totally cool for me. It's just not the things that I buy. 

    Nope. I buy the most ridiculous, ugly, gaudy deer that I can possibly find. 

    I've been gathering them for years, my gaudy deer. I wait until the season is over and they're marked down to a dollar or whatever, and then I scoop them up. They're not religious, but they have the spirit of the season, and they're just hilarious to me. My child remarks that when I'm old and gray and he comes to visit me with the grandkids in December, he'll see an entire house filled with just deer. 

    I don't even really like deer. I mean, they're fine. I wouldn't hunt one, and I only ate one once and I didn't even mean to and it was delicious but I was horrified when I found out what it was and I would never eat one again. But when they are bright pink or plaid or in some awful, convoluted pose... well, they're pretty damn awesome. 

    So, you know, that's some information for you. Sweet dreams! 





No comments:

Post a Comment