Friday, July 18, 2014

2.18: Favorite Memories - The Boyfriend

A year of talking on the phone, of writing to each other, of sharing, had all culminated to this moment.

I stood at the Columbus airport, in my bright silver skirt, staring at the sets of escalators in front of me.

He had texted that his plane had arrived, and I knew that he was on his way, but it seemed as though he took forever.

I watched the legs of people, trying to discern which one was him, trying to be the first one to catch a glimpse. People with skirts weren't him. People with long legs weren't him. Young kids weren't him.

I leaned against a pole in the airport, attempting to look nonchalant, my heart beating like a marathon runner.

FaceTime had torn away any doubts about appearances, phone conversations had torn away any doubts about rapport, but something else could be off -- smell or touch or demeanor. I told myself not to get my hopes up. These things rarely work out.

And then, there he was -- my heart did a little wiggle. Our eyes met, we grinned, and he walked right over to me.

He was handsome. His eyes were kind. He looked stiff, a little uncomfortable. He hugged me, we kissed, and one of us made some off-color remark. We smiled at each other. This was good. This was really good.

Three years later, we're still going. So I guess this time, it worked out.



NGS - tell us 'bout your memories!


No comments:

Post a Comment