Over that weekend, NGS happily took us to all the touristy-things in D.C. We saw Arlington National Cemetary (where CSue flirted with the guard at the front gates), the National Gallery of Art (where CSue tried to touch a picture and almost got us kicked out), and went to a lesbian rally of some sort.
On the way there, though, something awful happened. NGS and I had a pet gecko named Cherry Pie and/or Nipple. CSue and I thought it would be a good idea to take the gecko with us so that NGS could visit with it. And geckos like sunlight, so I set his cage up in the back of the car. He was absolutely fine. Except, at one point, CSue and I stopped to eat. And we went into a Crocker Barrel, and it was too crowded, so we left. And when we came back out, the gecko was fried. He was a flat, hard gecko. I picked up the cage and dumped it in a drainage ditch. And CSue, who is really religious, screamed out, "GOD DAMMIT!!!" and I laughed so hard, it hurt.
But then we were scared to tell NGS. Like, really scared. And I suppose I didn't have to tell her until she got back home and realized that the gecko was missing, but I can't keep anything from NGS, so I told her. And she looked shocked, but it wasn't her "I'm so disappointed in you" face and she didn't break down in tears or anything, so we got through it.
I went home to my brand-new dog after that weekend, and I remember that I was so excited to introduce her to NGS when she came back. But that is a story for another day.
This is Rainbow, who looks just like Cherry Pie/Nipple did.

Then I had my mom and sister watch my gecko when I was a way for a week and they let THAT ONE die. The geckos are the reason I only had fish for decades of my life.
ReplyDeleteBut Cookie was the most adorable creature on the planet, so I got over it. PUPPY!!