It's not that I don't think my kids like me; it's that I have a weird difference in what I know about my students. In my classes that I've been teaching since the beginning of the year, it's second nature to me; my kids are MY kids. I have nicknames for them and inside jokes and I know how to help them learn. I know when they're going to be jerks. But in those three middle classes, I'm still getting to know the kids. It's like the first day of school all over again. Well... not that bad.
The other thing is that I'm interviewing for a new job on Friday. It's in the same school system, but it's a smaller, new high school for science-oriented students. I would be a school guidance counselor. This is what I've always wanted to do -- English teaching was just a ways to a means -- but I'm a bit conflicted. Sure, it's a dream job, but it's also starting over in a school where I don't know anyone. I would leave behind students who I adore, parents who I've made great relationships with, and co-workers who are like family.
The nice thing is that, if I get the job, great! I've got a cool new job doing something I'm really passionate about. And if I don't get the job, great! I get to stay at a school that I love and where I'm comfortable. So, a win-win.
But, more immediate, is the fact that my student teacher is gone. Waaaaah. It's going to be weird.
NGS and her detours! Ugh!

No comments:
Post a Comment