Thursday, December 4, 2014

7.4: Place -- Donations

They place their cans and boxes gently on the table, likely only understanding a little of what they are doing.
Most of these kids live a life of luxury; theirs is a world that many only dream of.
And yet they know that there are people "out there" with less than they have. They know that "the right thing to do" around the holidays is donate food.
Perhaps, for some, their parents have told them what it was like to grow up with not enough. For others, they have learned through church or other social organizations that it's good to give to the less fortunate.
Whatever the reason, it's nice to see people who have so much give back.
For me, I appreciate seeing non-religious groups gather food for the less fortunate. So often it's churches, and I like SC to see that people give for reasons other than checking off a box to get into heaven.
SC and I walked through Kroger, carefully choosing what he would bring. I reached for the generic mac and cheese, and he protested, telling me that poor kids want Ninja Turtles in their mac and cheese too.
Point taken.
We bought and bought that day, piling the cart high. And he was so excited to walk into school and place his cans and boxes on the table.
I hope the other kids were just as excited, and I hope they keep it up, no matter what their reason.


My place is really with NGS. 



No comments:

Post a Comment