Monday, May 18, 2015

12.18: Favorite memories -- Canadians

People from other countries rock my socks off.

There was a foreign exchange student from Brazil in my senior class back in high school, Her name was Marcia, and we became fast friends. In Physiology class, she would do the gross dissections for me while I took notes.

In college, I met this awesome couple. They were both Asian, but she was from China and he was from England. I remember going to their place for leek soup, and sitting on the floor in a circle. I stayed at their apartment for hours, laughing and trading stories about our home countries.

I had a relationship with a man named Michael who lived in Ontario once. It wasn't that far from me, so he would drive down to visit. It lasted, on-and-off, from my senior year of high school, well into after my divorce (but not while I was married).

One of my very favorite new friends from this year lives in Ecuador. I want to visit him so badly, and I'm sure that I will one of these days. Until then, we Skype on a regular basis.

In high school, I had online friends from Cyprus and from Germany. I had more, of course, but those were the two that I still remember.

But the best international person I ever met online was my good friend Veronica. We met when we were around 16, and we didn't meet until we were in our 30's. We shared a love of Tori Amos and a serious boycrazy streak. Years later, she translates books into French and I teach English. She has a husband and two adorable boys, and I have no husband and one adorable boy.

So we get together 2 or 3 times a year. It's an easy friendship -- the boys love each other and Veronica and I are like sisters. We trade insults, cooking secrets, shopping tips and dirty jokes. We sip wine and try new food. We laugh and laugh. And, of course, we complain.

This past weekend, Veronica and the boys came down. We ate meals together, visited the zoo, and just hung out. Veronica and her husband watched SC when I had to go to graduation. SC had a blast. When it was time for us to leave them yesterday, SC sobbed the whole way home "I won't get to see them until JULYYYYY!!!"

It's true, but I'm excited for our trip to Canada this summer. It'll be a good time.




Canadian candy!
NGS do not have to write about favorite memories anymore, but we will make them! 



No comments:

Post a Comment