Wednesday, May 20, 2015

12.20: Lessons -- Beliefs

I couldn't help myself.

This is a common theme.

But when the student -- the intelligent, strong-willed, pompous student from a great family -- wrote in his essay that gay marriage should not be allowed because marriage was only to procreate, I kind of snapped.

If he would have written that gay marriage wasn't okay because of a higher power, I would have rolled my eyes and dismissed the argument. I can't play with people when we're in two different dimensions. I'm not going to argue with your religion when I don't even hold value for the book it comes from.

But this excuse... this didn't work for me.

I wrote in his essay "My best friend and her husband aren't going to have kids... should they divorce?"

When I handed back his essay, I asked him the same question, point blank.

He looked shocked. For once, the kid-who-knows-everything didn't know what to say.

I pressed the issue. I wanted him to tell me if they should get a divorce right away, if procreation was the only reason for marriage.

He sputtered a little, and fumbled some words around.

I let him off the hook then. I'd made him think; that's all I was after.

I so rarely get fired up, but this situation actually pissed me off.


NGS and I never have to write about LESSONS again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment